A predator was working as a local ding ding man, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators said 61-year-old Aaron Vance was working as an ice cream truck driver while also being a lifetime offender on the Nebraska Sex Offender Registry. But KETV Investigates uncovered that Vance was connected to another high-profile case involving a retired Omaha police officer. “It’s disturbing,” Sheriff Aaron Hanson said.READ MORE: Retired Omaha police sergeant, man arrested on multiple child abuse charges in Douglas CountyVance was arrested Thursday for sexual assault of a minor in Douglas County. “Aaron Vance was familiar with Christy Stevens and Kenneth Beams. He would come to the house and victimize at least one of the children at the house,” Hanson said.Investigators spoke with the 15-year-old alleged victim of Stevens and 40-year-old Beams. The two were arrested last month on felony charges of child sexual assault and child abuse in the form of strangulation. According to court documents, the teen disclosed that Beams brought Vance over to the house near 149th Street and Bauman Avenue to have sex with the girl. The girl told authorities that Beams offered her up like currency for meth. After the sexual assault, the teen said Vance and Beams went to the garage to smoke meth. According to court documents, Vance had driven an ice cream truck to the house a number of times. “Vance was actually employed as an ice cream man, the ding ding man, and he would drive around in an ice cream truck,” Hanson said, adding that Vance was known to law enforcement as a lifelong offender on Nebraska’s Sex Offender Registry. Hanson confirmed Vance was out on bond when he said this crime occurred. “We had arrested him in late March for violation of the sex offender registry act,” Hanson said.Hanson said Vance purposely shielded his ice cream truck from cameras at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office at 156th and Maple streets by parking the truck in the Hy-Vee parking lot across the street.Hanson wants parents to be aware.”You hear the ding ding man, all the kids come running,” Hanson said. “It’s a dream for them, but terrifying for parents and law enforcement.”The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office shared two photos, one taken March 31 and his mug shot from a couple of days ago. “We’ve seen sex being involved in human trafficking teen girls. We’ve seen now sex offenders operate ice cream trucks and victim juveniles. It’s time to up the game,” Hanson said.He said historically, the Nebraska Sex Offender Registry has been self-reporting administrative work, but not anymore. Hanson said his office will do compliance checks to make sure offenders are telling the truth.”But this investigator’s job will actually be in the field and verify the information,” Hanson said.He said these new checks are effective immediately.Vance was in court Friday. He is being held in Douglas County Corrections without bond for the charge of first-degree sexual assault of a minor.He also faces a charge of failure to register with the sex offender registry. Hanson said his office is investigating whether additional charges should be filed for Stevens and Beams.NAVIGATE: Home | Weather | Local News | National | Sports | Newscasts on demand |
A predator was working as a local ding ding man, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.
Investigators said 61-year-old Aaron Vance was working as an ice cream truck driver while also being a lifetime offender on the Nebraska Sex Offender Registry.
But KETV Investigates uncovered that Vance was connected to another high-profile case involving a retired Omaha police officer.
“It’s disturbing,” Sheriff Aaron Hanson said.
READ MORE: Retired Omaha police sergeant, man arrested on multiple child abuse charges in Douglas County
Vance was arrested Thursday for sexual assault of a minor in Douglas County.
“Aaron Vance was familiar with Christy Stevens and Kenneth Beams. He would come to the house and victimize at least one of the children at the house,” Hanson said.
Investigators spoke with the 15-year-old alleged victim of Stevens and 40-year-old Beams.
The two were arrested last month on felony charges of child sexual assault and child abuse in the form of strangulation.
According to court documents, the teen disclosed that Beams brought Vance over to the house near 149th Street and Bauman Avenue to have sex with the girl.
The girl told authorities that Beams offered her up like currency for meth.
After the sexual assault, the teen said Vance and Beams went to the garage to smoke meth.
According to court documents, Vance had driven an ice cream truck to the house a number of times.
“Vance was actually employed as an ice cream man, the ding ding man, and he would drive around in an ice cream truck,” Hanson said, adding that Vance was known to law enforcement as a lifelong offender on Nebraska’s Sex Offender Registry.
Hanson confirmed Vance was out on bond when he said this crime occurred.
“We had arrested him in late March for violation of the sex offender registry act,” Hanson said.
Hanson said Vance purposely shielded his ice cream truck from cameras at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office at 156th and Maple streets by parking the truck in the Hy-Vee parking lot across the street.
Hanson wants parents to be aware.
“You hear the ding ding man, all the kids come running,” Hanson said. “It’s a dream for them, but terrifying for parents and law enforcement.”
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office shared two photos, one taken March 31 and his mug shot from a couple of days ago.
“We’ve seen sex being involved in human trafficking teen girls. We’ve seen now sex offenders operate ice cream trucks and victim juveniles. It’s time to up the game,” Hanson said.
He said historically, the Nebraska Sex Offender Registry has been self-reporting administrative work, but not anymore.
Hanson said his office will do compliance checks to make sure offenders are telling the truth.
“But this investigator’s job will actually be in the field and verify the information,” Hanson said.
He said these new checks are effective immediately.
Vance was in court Friday. He is being held in Douglas County Corrections without bond for the charge of first-degree sexual assault of a minor.
He also faces a charge of failure to register with the sex offender registry.
Hanson said his office is investigating whether additional charges should be filed for Stevens and Beams.
NAVIGATE: Home | Weather | Local News | National | Sports | Newscasts on demand |